The Good Stuff
Case Study: JFK Powers Contactless Passenger Experiences with Boingo Wireless
- Case Study
- 3 min read
JOHN F. KENNEDY INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT | QUEENS, NY
Located less than 20 miles from Midtown Manhattan, John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) is one of the largest airports in the world. More than a hundred airlines operate flights to and from JFK to and from over 200 destinations.
JFK needed a reliable wireless networking solution to address operational challenges presented by the global pandemic. The network was required to enable new touchless experiences that prioritized the health and safety of passengers and airport staff. Use cases the network needed to power included:
- Contactless entry—mobile boarding passes
- Mobile concessions—in-app ordering and delivery
- Passenger communications—proximity-based digital signage, virtual queuing or volunteer notifications, Wi-Fi connection portal messaging and PSAs to remind passengers and staff of health and safety protocols
Boingo designed a neutral host, converged network that combines distributed antenna systems (DAS) and Wi-Fi in one centralized platform.
- Strong mobile coverage with LTE and Wi-Fi
- Fast, free Wi-Fi sponsored by Boingo Media
- Seamless connectivity with Passpoint
- High-speed, high-capacity network
- Shared equipment and resources among Tier One carriers
- An architecture of layered security for data protection
- 24/7 network monitoring and customer care with on-demand data and analytics
JFK remains one of the world’s busiest airports. By connecting new touchless experiences, Boingo has helped streamline services for the health and safety of passengers. Built on the convergence of leading-edge wireless technologies, and leveraging public-private partnerships, New York’s major airport has remained resilient. Boingo’s converged network solutions allow it to power contactless services and deliver the digital experiences today’s passengers desire.
Learn how Boingo’s solutions support major airports in the 5G era by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.